SANA'A, March 28 (Saba) – The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) has warned of the risk of famine among Yemen's children of two years of bloody conflict.
"Nearly half a million children in Yemen are suffering from acute malnutrition, with an increase of 200 per cent since 2014," UNICEF said in a report entitled " Falling through the Cracks."
"In Yemen, families increasingly resort to maximum measures to care for their children," said the report, making Yemen one of the most countries affected by the food security and malnutrition crisis worldwide.
"Families are eating less food, using food at a lower nutritional value, or exceeding some basic meals. The number of people suffering from extreme poverty and vulnerability are increasing. Nearly 80 percent of households are heavily indebted, and half of the population lives on less than $ 2 a day."
The report pointed out that the health system in Yemen is on the verge of collapse, which makes about 15 million men, women and children without health care, noting the continued spread of cholera and acute water diarrhea since October 2016 has resulted in 106 deaths and more than 22,500 cases suspected injury.
The report said more than 1,600 schools were no longer usable because they were either partially or damaged totally or used as shelters for displaced families. About 350,000 children were unable to continue education, raising the number of children out of school to 2 million.
Attacks on schools rose by more than four times from 50 last year to 212, and attacks on hospitals and health facilities rose by one-third from 63 to 95.
According to the report, the number of children who were killed and injured by the conflict rose by 70 percent last year, as a number of children who were killed estimated at 900 and increased to 1,500 children, and a number of children infected increased from one 1,300 to 2,450 children based on the data Documented by the United Nations.