Seoul, May 17 (Saba) - The top US commander Gen. Walter Sharp in South Korea voiced support for Seoul's move to reform its top military command structure and promised his cooperation, a South Korean official said Tuesday. According to South Korea's (Yonhap) News Agency, the official said that Gen. Walter Sharp, commander of US Forces Korea (USFK), made the remarks after South Korea's Defense Ministry held a briefing on the military reforms last week, according to Qatar News Agency (QNA).
South Korea unveiled a series of military reforms in March in response to North Korea's two deadly attacks on the South last year. The reforms call for the military to streamline its top command structure and drastically increase fire power.
One of the central parts of the reform measures is aimed at strengthening the role of the Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman to enhance the interoperability of its armed services.
The South's military has been under growing calls to improve interoperability among the Army, Navy and Air Force to better respond to North Korean provocations. Last year, North Korea sank a South Korean warship and bombarded a southern border island, leaving 50 people, including two civilians, dead.
About 28,500 US troops are stationed in South Korea, a legacy of the 1950-53 Korean War.