CUBA, Aug 01 (Saba) - A Yemeni Guantanamo detainee has claimed that he faced assassination plots in his cell.
Abdu al-Salam al-Hilah, 41, who was held in Egypt in Sept 2002, told his family in the first phone conversation after the deaths of his brother, mother and sons that his attempted assassination came shortly after the deaths of his sons in April this year.
The deaths did not weaken me, but rather they helped me collect myself and stand up for hardship at Gauntanamo, he said, calling on his family not to believe he may commit suicide.
100 of the remaining detainees at the US detention in Cuba are Yemeni nationals who the Yemeni government urges be sent home.
Earlier this year, the US revealed a plan to send some or all of the Yemeni detainees to Saudi Arabia, praising the kingdom's rehabilitation centers and programs.
Yemen has resisted the move, saying it is better that its nationals come home and pledging effective rehabilitation programs and centers.
Earlier the US said that the Yemenis at the US detention posed a major obstacle for closing the prison as President Obama ordered as early as June net year.